IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE PUBLIC ENTITY RISK INSTITUTE
PERI AND PRIMA PARTNER TO DELIVER INNOVATIONS
PERI Receives New Funding to Support Risk Management
May 7, 2013 - Debra Darnofall, Chair, Public Entity Risk Institute (PERI), announced that PERI will partner with the Public Risk Management Association (PRIMA) to support programming that will benefit governments and nonprofit organizations starting in June 2013. Under this new arrangement, the groups will collaborate to support PRIMA’s mission to advance the knowledge and practice of public risk management.
PERI will continue as an independent organization with a new seven-member Board of Directors. In partnership with PRIMA and organizations representing several stakeholder groups, PERI will seek innovative ideas on the types of products and services and delivery mechanisms needed in the 21st Century. This information and other outreach efforts will be the catalyst for a strategic planning process. PRIMA will provide staff support to the PERI Board of Directors and will manage the programs PERI undertakes in the future.
Chair Darnofall also announced that in March PERI received a new $2.2 million cy pres award as part of the Insurance Brokers Global Settlement. The award is for educational purposes and is to benefit public entities and nonprofits. She said, “PERI is honored to accept this award and the Board of Directors is confident that PERI will deliver significant value to the injured entities with the money.” PERI was originally funded in 1997 by a similar award.
The first meeting of the new PERI Board of Directors will be held in conjunction with the PRIMA Annual Conference on June 5, 2013 in Tampa, FL. Click here for a News Release announcing the PERI-PRIMA collaboration.
The PERI Bookstore has closed. Titles previously sold by PERI are now available from the following sources:
- Success Stories: Public Entities Adopt ERM Best Practices by Kristina Narvaez will be available here www.erm-strategies.com.
- The following publications will be available here www.disasterbookstore.com:
- Managing for Long-Term Community Recovery in the Aftermath of Disaster
- Challenges of Emergency Management in Higher Education: Planning and Strategies
- Holistic Disaster Recovery: Ideas for Building Local Sustainability After a Natural Disaster
- Emergency Management: The American Experience 1900-2005
- Characteristics of Effective Emergency Management Organizational Structures
- Are you Ready? What Lawyers Need to Know About Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Recovery
- Integrating Emergency Management Studies into Higher Education: Ideas, Programs, and Strategies
- Ideas From An Emerging Field: Teaching Emergency Management in Higher Education
- Emergency Management in Higher Education: Current Practices and Conversations
- The DVD, The Water's Edge: Profits and Policy Behind the Rising Catastrophe of Floods is available from the producer, Marshall Frech. Contact him here firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Planning for Post-Disaster Recovery: A Review of the United States Disaster Assistance Framework will be available on the Island Press website http://islandpress.org.
- For information about Leading and Managing Volunteer & Combination Fire & Rescue Departments Skills Manual and Student Manual contact the National Volunteer Fire Council http://www.nvfc.org/
If you need to contact PERI, please email email@example.com.
The PERI Board thanks it constituent groups for their support since the organization's formation in 1997 and looks forward to working with the public risk management community in the future. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy the PERI Resource Library on this website. Click here to go to the Resource Library.